Watashi ga Motenai no wa dō Kangaetemo Omaera ga Warui!
No Matter How I Look at It, It’s You Guys' Fault I’m Not Popular!
Title: Because I'm Not Popular, I'll Enjoy Valentine's Day (Part 1)
Published: 16 March 2017
After receiving Valentine’s chocolates from Mako, both Tomoko and Yuri stay after school to make chocolates to return the favor. They have quiet bonding moments and even exchange bags at the end of the day.
On Valentine’s Day, Mako surprises Tomoko with some chocolates. During break, Tomoko speaks to Yuri about it and is informed that Mako gave chocolates to everyone in class. She further states that all the girls had stayed behind after class in the home economics room to make chocolates. Tomoko asks if they should make something in return. Yuri admits that she never bothered making anything and asks if she should have. Yuri’s statement makes Tomoko privately reinforce her opinion of Yuri being a loner.
After class, the two go to the home economics room to make chocolates. Inside, they see Akari and Kotomi working at a station. Tomoko ignores them and doesn’t reveal that she is acquainted with the two. Since neither Tomoko nor Yuri have made chocolates in the past, Yuri looks up a recipe with her phone. They work quietly while Akari and Kotomi engage in small talk. Yuri mentally admits that she is glad she doesn’t have to make awkward conversation with Tomoko and realizes it has been some time since she hung out with anyone other than Mako.
After some time, the two finish their first batch of chocolates. Tomoko made poop shaped ones while Yuri made plain spheres. Since there’s still a lot of chocolate left over, they decide to make another batch. Yuri makes extra chocolates for Yoshida while Tomoko makes a penis shaped one to harass Yū with. Once they finish, Yuri gives a bag of chocolates to Tomoko for spending time with her. In return, Tomoko gives her a bag of her poop shaped chocolates.
After cleaning up, the duo go to their lockers. Tomoko finds a bag of chocolates with a note from Ucchi stating that they are left over chocolates for her and that she can throw them away if she doesn’t like them. Tomoko is confused and asks who is Ucchi. Yuri jogs Tomoko’s memory when she mentions they were all in the same group for the school trip.
At home, Tomoko leaves a poop chocolate in Tomoki’s room and greets him when he comes home. She excitedly tells him she received chocolate from three different people and asks if he received any. He remains reticent about the matter and goes to his room, only to yell when he finds his sister's poop chocolate. Tomoko stays outside enjoying his reaction as she eats a bag of chocolates.
In order of appearance:
- Tomoko Kuroki
- Yuri Tamura
- Kotomi Komiyama
- Akari Iguchi
- Yū Naruse (mentioned)
- Yoshida (mentioned)
- Ucchi (mentioned)
- Tomoki Kuroki
- Yuri mentions the school field trip, which was an arc from chapters 72–80.
- Ucchi gave Tomoko sweets before in chapter 105 and received a “thank you” note from Tomoko in her locker.
- Tomoko was not aware of Ucchi’s name.
- This chapter shows that Tomoko’s snap judgement of Yuri being a loner is not entirely farfetched. Yuri admits she hasn’t spent time with anyone aside from Mako and doesn’t enjoy small talk.
- Despite Ucchi mentioning Tomoko can throw out the chocolates if she does not like them, chapter 105 reveals that she had hoped Tomoko would not throw out the Hokkaido cookies, which is a good indicator that Ucchi is most likely hoping Tomoko does not discard the Valentine’s chocolates either.
- Yuri initially believes that Tomoko made karinto styled chocolates, which are deep-fried snack foods in the shape of short cylinders.
“I’m actually glad I don’t have to force myself to make awkward conversation with Kuroki-san. But I can’t help but wonder how she feels about all this. Come to think of it, it’s been ages since I hung out with anyone other than Mako…” – (Yuri Tamura)