Watashi ga Motenai no wa dō Kangaetemo Omaera ga Warui!
No Matter How I Look at It, It’s You Guys' Fault I’m Not Popular!
Title: Since I'm Not Popular, I'll Try A Little Makeover
Published: 04 August 2011
Tomoko Kuroki, currently a 15 year old in her last month of middle school browses the net and comes across the word “mojo” which is defined as an unpopular girl. Tomoko is convinced that she is popular and eagerly awaits the start of her high school year. Two months later, Tomoko is hit with the realization that she is not at all popular and has not even made any friends. When she returns home from school, she tries to improve her popularity by altering her appearance but ends up with a disastrous look that makes her unrecognizable even to her own brother.
Tomoko Kuroki, introduced as a 15 year old in her last month of middle school, browses the net and comes across the word “mojo” which is defined as an unpopular, ugly, virgin girl. Tomoko is convinced that she is popular and reminisces on the six times she has spoken to a guy in her class. Tomoko eagerly awaits the start of her school year and based on her 50 in game years as a high schooler in otome games as well as having dated over 100 different guys, she imagines she will be able to get into the pants of the boys at her high school.
Two months later, Tomoko is sitting alone while she eats her lunch. She is hit with the realization that she is not at all popular and has not even had a conversation with anyone. She reasons that there is still time to make friends and that she should not rush. At the same time, a group of classmates are having a good time talking about their recent outing at a karaoke bar. Tomoko privately notes that a girl who hangs out with a bunch of guys just wants to sleep with them, thereby making her trashy. Tomoko rationalizes that she doesn’t want to hang out with them anyway and prefers to be alone. She also criticizes girls who wear make-up, wear short skirts, and flirt with guys as characterless girls with a cliched high school life.
At home, Tomoko plays her dating sim game but becomes frustrated. Still in her uniform, she goes to a mirror to look at herself. Tomoko silently puts her hair in bows, loosens her collar, rolls her skirt up, and pulls down one of her stockings. She looks at herself in the mirror again but ends up vomiting from the shock of seeing her creepy reflection in the mirror. After getting a hold of herself, Tomoko wonders if she is ugly and comes to the conclusion that if she considered herself ugly, it would be an insult to the real fugly girls. She then wonders why she is still unpopular if she is not ugly and realizes that her dark circles are making her look gloomy. She puts on her father’s glasses and is surprised at how cute she looks without the dark circles showing.
Really happy with her appearance, Tomoko searches the web for other ways to become even cuter. After some time, her brother comes home. She goes out to greet him with her altered appearance, which consists of anxious eyes, curled lips, and her forehead sticking out. This backfires on her as her appearance shocks her brother into thinking she was a hideous ghost.
In order of appearance:
- First appearance of Tomoko's brother but name had not been revealed yet.
- There is a big time gap in this chapter since Tomoko was still in middle school and then later is two months into high school.
- Tomoko has spoken to a guy six times in her three years of middle school, giving her an average of speaking to a guy two times a year.
- Tomoko has lived for 50 years as a high schooler in otome games and has dated over 100 guys.
- Tomoko is in class 1-D.
- There is a sticker of the face of of a cat on Tomoko’s bottom drawer, which looks like Nico Tanigawa’s rendition of themselves in the omakes.
- When Tomoko vomits, she claims that she had not seen herself in the mirror for a few years but she looked at herself in the mirror just earlier while she had her unaltered uniform on.
- Tomoko's father wears glasses.
- This chapter is adapted into the first episode of the anime.
- Tomoko uses a search engine called "Gaagle," which is a fictional version (and obvious parody) of the search engine "Google."
- Tomoko vomiting after seeing her reflection in the mirror.
- Tomoki calling his sister ugly after seeing her "transformation."
"So in other words, an ugly girl who is disliked by guys. But I’m different! I’m popular!" – (Tomoko Kuroki)
|Volume 01 Chapters||01 | 02 | 03 | 04 | 05 | 06 | 07 | 08 | 09 | Omake|
|Manga Volumes||01 | 02 | 03 | 04 | 05 | 06 | 07 | 08 | 09 | TBA|
|TomoMote Chapters||01 | 02 | 03 | 04 | 05 | 06 | 07 | 08 | 09 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28|
|Anime Episodes||01 | 02 | 03 | 04 | 05 | 06 | 07 | 08 | 09 | 10 | 11 | 12 | OVA|