Fifteen-year-old Tomoko Kuroki believes herself to be popular, having been well-versed in the world of otome games. After she gets to high school, she realizes the opposite is true as she finds herself a loner, outside the popular circle. She is forced to re-evaluate herself for the first time in a long while, and the series follows Tomoko through high school as she tries to improve her social standing.
- Tomoko Kuroki - The aforementioned protagonist of the manga. She's aggressive, petty, and awkward, but her nerve is admirable. Throughout the manga she slowly improves her social skills little by little.
- Tomoki Kuroki - Tomoko's younger (and more socially adjusted) brother, who she acts somewhat incestuous to. He was mildly annoyed by Tomoko at the beginning of the manga, but eventually becomes more hostile and cold to her after she bugs him one too many times.
- Kī - Tomoko's little cousin. At the beginning of the manga Kī looks up to Tomoko, readily believing all the lies Tomoko feeds her. However, as Kī finds out more and more Tomoko's true nature it turns from admiration to pity/disgust.
- Tomoko's Mother - The only parent of Tomoko's consistently shown on screen. She occasionally catches Tomoko up to some weird antics, much to the chagrin of the both.
Tomoko's Main Social CircleEdit
- Yū Naruse - During the early chapters of the manga Yū was Tomoko's only friend. Yū has known Tomoko from middle school, but the two went to different high schools. Yū has grown to be quite the attractive and popular young woman, while Tomoko hasn't adjusted to life nearly as well. She is quite ditzy and too forgiving of Tomoko's weird behavior, but she is learning.
- Kotomi Komiyama - Tomoko's foil and friend-enemy from middle school. They never learned they went to the same high school until some time into the manga. The two don't get along well at all, despite the fact that Kotomi is merely a more well-adjusted version of Tomoko. Kotomi's strange obsession with Tomoki only makes Tomoko further dislike the girl. Nonetheless they have had their strange moments of friendship on occasion, which is sometimes a result of Yū who wants the two to be friends.
- Megumi Imae - A friendly, nice girl one grade above Tomoko. She often goes out of her way to make sure Tomoko is happy. She is a part of the student council and is seemingly quite popular around the school.
- Hina Nemoto - A popular girl who originally tried to act nice to Tomoko, but as since grown strangely cold. Hina secretly loves anime, but chooses to hide this and act like someone she's not so as to fit in with the normal crowd.
- Yuri Tamura - A seemingly normal girl who befriends Tomoko on the school field trip to Kyoto. She's good friends with Mako Tanaka and the two can often be seen hanging out. Yuri displays some trouble with making friends later in the manga, which would explain why she only has Mako.
- Mako Tanaka - A mutual friend of Tomoko's. Mako and Tomoko met through Yuri and while Mako wasn't ready to be friends with Tomoko at first, Mako eventually warmed up to the loner. Mako is fairly friendly and possibly a bit popular, as she can be associating with Minami and other characters often.
- Masaki Yoshida - A hostile delinquent who befriended Tomoko after the school field trip to Kyoto. Tomoko is scared of Yoshida, who frequently reacts violently to Tomoko's inappropriate behavior.
- Ucchi - Ucchi seems to be obsessed with Tomoko ever since the school field trip to Kyoto, where they first met. Ucchi has become increasingly creeped out (and intrigued) by Tomoko, but the latter is oblivious to all this.